Whether you are going to Venice, Rome, Milan, or Florence, you need luggage for your trip.
Choosing luggage for Italy is difficult. There are a few factors to determine which luggage is the best for you
- Are you traveling with valuables?
- It is harder to stop a thief with a backpack.
- In the rare case that some thief stole your luggage, note that train operator in Italy, Trenitalia, doesn't take responsibility for lost luggage.
- Therefore, either get an insurance that can cover your losses and don't bring what you cannot afford to lose (don't want to lose your precious photos in the computer).
- Are you planning to shop a lot and carry the items back?
- You could either travel with big luggage or travel light and buy cheap luggage in Italy to put your shopping items like clothes and shoes inside. Again, remember that travel insurance is important and keep your receipts.
- Are you planning to move around places with stairs and steps
- Traveling with a backpack would be easier as you don't need to wheel up the stairs
- Alternatively, most luggage has a separate carry-on for your day trip
With the above considerations, we've reviewed some backpack and wheel luggage so that you can see the differences when you go budget, popularity, or premium. You could still keep your existing luggage if you love it.
Below we hope to answer other questions about luggage in Italy and take you through what we researched.
Table of Content
- Our Reviews for Best Wheeled Luggage for Italy
- Our Reviews for Best Backpack for Italy
- Our Choices for Best Luggage for Italy
Best Value $
Case and Zipper feel well constructed
The large case is expandable
Good Customer Service to replace luggage defect
|Check Price on Amazon|
Full of Room
Wheels are surprisingly durable
|Check Price on Amazon|
Our Reviews for wheeled luggage
For information, we looked through many wheeled luggage in Amazon before deciding the best value and most popular choice of Wheeled Luggage in Amazon.
CooLife Luggage Expandable Suitcase PC+ABS 3 Piece Set with TSA Lock Spinner Carry on new fashion design (wine red, 3 piece set)
CooLife is a manufacturer of luggage for the budget-conscious with functionality to expand the largest case by 15% to store your shopping items.
The Luggage Expandable Suitcase PC+ABS 3 Piece Set comes with standard TSA Lock Spinner (2 years warranty) and sturdy zipper to withstand rough handling by TSA agents or porter. The price include 3 sets that make it a great value buy.
The build quality was not the best though as some encountered difficulties with pushing down the push-on handle. The wheels are small and might not withstand too much pushing on uneven concrete.
Otherwise, the Luggage Expandable Suitcase PC+ABS 3 Piece Set with TSA Lock Spinner Carry on new fashion design (wine red, 3 piece set) is decently built and suitable for the budget-conscious consumer.
- Value buy for 3 luggage
- Expandable large case by 15% for more storage
- Customer service will replace if there are defects
- Wheel not suitable for uneven concrete
- The handle might be harder to push down
Ripstop Rolling Travel Luggage Duffle Bag With Wheels - 32.5 Inch, Black
Amazon sold so many luggage that they made their own.
The Ripstop Rolling Travel Luggage Duffle Bag With Wheels is huge. The size ranged from 28.5 to 37.5 Inch to suit your needs. It is designed with surprisingly durable wheels (but try not to wheel on uneven surfaces too long) and many compartments.
It does not have a TSA lock and the chance to exceed your luggage weight limit is high with the roomy space.
Otherwise, the Ripstop Rolling Travel Luggage Duffle Bag With Wheels is decently built and suitable for the consumer looking for a popular choice.
- Tons of room
- Wheels are surprisingly durable
- Many compartments
- No in-built TSA lock
- Careful of over weight as too much room
Best Backpack for Italy
If you are looking for backpacks, we recommend checking these out.
For the digital warrior, it can fit a 15.6 laptop and USB charger port
Anti-Theft Pocket at the back
|Check Price on Amazon|
Premium Choice $$$
Made for women who don't wish to carry a handbag in Italy
Part of Tumi line-up
|Check Price on Amazon|
For information, we looked through 73 items in Amazon before deciding the best value, most popular choice and the premium choice of Travel Backpack
Travel Laptop Backpack, Business Anti Theft Slim Durable Laptops Backpack with USB Charging Port, Water Resistant College School Computer Bag Gifts for Men & Women Fits 15.6 Inch Notebook, Grey
Matein is a popular best-seller for a backpack suitable for your Italy trip.
The Travel Laptop Backpack comes with an Anti-Theft compartment. It is made for the digital warrior and can fit a 15.6" laptop with USB Charging Port. It is also water-resistant.
The quality is exceptional. The only problem is the lack of padding to protect laptop from damage during a fall.
Otherwise, the backpack is decently built and suitable for a consumer looking for a popular choice.
- Anti-Theft compartment
- For digital warrior with laptop and USB charger
- No padding to protect laptop from damage during a fall
TUMI - Voyageur Just In Case Backpack - Lightweight Foldable Packable Travel Daypack for Women - Black
TUMI produces premium bags for women.
The TUMI - Voyageur Just-In Case Backpack is a lightweight, foldable travel Daypack for Women.
It is designed with high quality and can fit a 13" laptop with a cosmetic bag, scarf.
The price is not affordable but it is a TUMI and decently built and suitable for women looking for a premium choice.
- Suitable for women to put laptop, cosmetic bag, scarf
- Foldable, lightweight and stylish
- Not suitable as standalone luggage to bring everything to Italy
Travel Luggage for Italy
By now you’ve probably ear-marked your favorite, but probably want a little more information – that’s why you’re still reading, right?
Well, you’re in luck…because we created an in-depth informational guide for finding Travel Backpack, so if you are still unsure or you have any final questions, this buyer's guide should do the trick
Luggage for Italy Trains
You can bring luggage to Italy trains but remember to take care of them. Usually, you can take a piece of luggage for each passenger. A small carry-on size bag will fit easily on the overhead racks above the seats. If you have a larger piece of luggage, you need to put them at storage bins near the entrance to the car.
Luggage Storage for Italy
One trick to reduce carrying the luggage around is to use luggage storage at train stations or luggage checking service or storage lockers specifically for tourists. However, expect to pay $10 and $15 per day, and you can only squeeze at most two bags into one locker to save money.
Liquids in Italy Luggage
Similar to other countries, only small quantities of liquids may be taken in hand luggage. These liquids must be in individual containers with a maximum capacity of 100 milliliters each. These containers must be packed in one transparent, re-sealable plastic bag of not more than one liter capacity per passenger.
Our choice for luggage in Italy is to bring both a luggage and a backpack. It is flexible and allows you to bring everything you need while traveling lightweight when going to uneven surfaces (which is common in Italy). Remember to be careful of pickpockets in crowded tourist places.