Wedding in Venice is a fantastic idea for a romantic wedding in Italy. Even Mr George Clooney agreed, he and Ms Amal Alamuddin tied the knot and hosted his 90 person wedding at Venice too.
Ready to learn more?
Let start with why you should hold your wedding in Venice.
- Venice, with its winding canals and ancient bridges, is unique. The serenity, the sense of history, the unusual surroundings, all create a romantic atmosphere just made for a special occasion, such as a wedding. A wedding in Venice is possibly the most exclusive and spectacular option for those who desire to marry in Italy.
- Regency San Marino can provide a civil or religious ceremony in a Renaissance palace, on a private terrace, overlooking the Grand Canal or in a private home of a noble family, or in a grand room in a spectacular museum or hotel.
- Every couple dreams of being able to enjoy a gondola ride along the Grand Canal, taking in the magnificent Rialto Bridge and the palazzi and bridges that line Venice’s main thoroughfare. The Piazza San Marco and its Basilica with its Byzantine architecture provide the perfect setting for your wedding photos. The incomparable views of the bay and the Isle of San Giorgio will remain etched in your memory forever.
- The city of Venice is famous for its hotels and private Renaissance palaces which can be rented for very exclusive wedding receptions. Imagine ornate interiors lit by soft candlelight creating an atmosphere of times gone by; memories that will remain etched in the minds of you and your family for years to come. For special gala dinners, it is possible to rent 17th and 18th century costumes for a once in a lifetime event.
- Only in Venice, a bride can arrive at the Wedding Hall by gondola and you will also give your guests the chance to experience such an amazing ride after the civil ceremony along the authentic Venetian callas. Venice is also one of the most beautiful cities of art, millions of visitors arrive each year to simply visit the city or enjoy attractions such as the Biennale or the Film Festival or the well-known Carnival.
Venice is a city located in the North-East of Italy, famous all over the world for being a floating city of unique beauty. This is a city of water where there are no streets and no cars, only canals.
All the buildings are surrounded by water and the only means of transportation available are boats or gondolas. Venice stretches across 117 small islands, while the city is divided into six areas or sestieri. Winters are cool and summers are very warm but this does not affect the beauty of this unique city where any of the 365 days in a year is simply perfect for a romantic wedding.
DIFFERENT KINDS OF WEDDING CELEBRATED IN VENICE
The civil wedding is celebrated in the town hall in front of the major or another civil state office. According to the Italian law, it can be celebrated only in town halls and/or in other places as municipal museums, villas or gardens having obtained the status of sede distaccata. Civil wedding is characterized by simplicity and rapidity and it has a legal validity.
Religious wedding in the catholic Church encompass tradition, culture and religion at the same time. It is a very suggestive rite and it can have a civil recognition. It can be celebrated in the church of the town where the bride or the groom live otherwise, if celebrated in another parish, parsons and the administration have to give the requested documents.
In order to have a civil recognition, the bride and the groom have to follow the procedures requested for the civil wedding. Both the bride and the groom have to request the publication of banns to the civil state office of the city where the bride or the groom lives and they have to remain exposed in both cities of the bride and the groom for at least 8 days.
Three days after those 8 days, the parson can celebrate the wedding with the presence of two witnesses of age. Publications remain effective for 180 days.
Apart from the religious and civil wedding, another type of wedding, the symbolic one, exists. It hasn’t got a legal validity but it aims at prove a couple union without any document. A friend, a relative or any other person you choose, can officiate the wedding. The simbolic cerimony can take place in the place of your dreams: in a park, in a villa, at the beach, in a boat, in a palace or in many other particular places.
Jewish weddings in Venice are possible in several of the magnificent historical synagogues and kosher catering is available for your reception. Ceremonies are Orthodox only.
As you can see, many types of wedding are celebrated in Venice. Protestant denominations can be accommodated, as well as Jewish ceremonies and Catholic church weddings.
We recommend asking a wedding planner in Italy to inquire about the possible ideas and venues, such as Venetian palaces, gardens and hotels. You can then decide how to hold your dream wedding, like Mr George Clooney did in Venice.